Lambda Alpha is the national honors organization for Anthropology. The society was originally founded at Wichita State University in 1968 with the purpose of encouraging and stimulating scholarship and research in Anthropology. Lambda Alpha serves to recognize academic achievement and provide incentive for exceptional performance.
The name Lambda Alpha derives from the initial letters of the Greek words logos anthropou, meaning the ”study of man.” Missouri State University's chapter of Lambda Alpha is Delta of Missouri, and was chartered in 2005.
Benefits of Lambda Alpha Membership:
- Membership is for life, so it can be listed on a curriculum vita or resume indefinitely.
- Members of Lambda Alpha may submit their work for publication in the national Lambda Alpha Journal.
- 50% of the journal’s space is reserved for student publication.
- This is a tremendous opportunity for students to begin their publishing career.
- Members are eligible to apply for an undergraduate scholarship provided by the National Executive Office, and a research grant for graduate thesis research.
- Members are eligible to purchase the Lambda Alpha Honors stole and/or pin to wear at commencement.
- Must be an Anthropology major of senior status, having completed a minimum of 75 credits overall, and 18 credits towards the Anthropology major
- Must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 overall, and at least a 3.5 within the major
Joining Lambda Alpha:
- Lifetime membership dues are $25.00; the Sociology, Anthropology, and Criminology Department will pay for half of the dues, so each initiate pays only $12.50.
- The Anthropology program solicits new members for Lambda Alpha once a year; Anthropology majors meeting the membership requirements listed above will be contacted by the faculty sponsor in our department.
- A blank application card may be obtained from the department office; the filled-out application card and a check for $12.50 may be left with department office staff, Sue Myers or Christie Titus.
- New members are initiated into the organization at the departmental awards ceremony each academic year, and presented with a certificate and membership card.
If you have any questions about Lambda Alpha, please contact faculty sponsor Dr. Suzanne Walker at 417-836-6358 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National Lambda Alpha Constitution can be viewed on the Lambda Alpha National website.